Patient Security and Copyright Statements
Our activities include audio and video transmissions in conferences for the purpose of medical education and clinical research as well as for medical consultation and medical practice. In verbal communications and presentation materials in conferences, please avoid patient personal information in principle. The term “personal information” used here means information about a living individual which can be identify the specific individual by name, date of birth, face photo or other descriptions contained in such information. If it is necessary to present personal information in conferences, medical consultations, or medical practice, informed consent should be obtained in advance from the patient. We always comply with Japan’s Personal Information Protection Law and related guidelines (1). Our activities are in full compliance with ethical guidelines for medical research and life science (2). We follow two guidelines for medical information established by three Japanese administrative organizations (3). As required, we also abide the rules of online medical care by Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (4).
- 1. Copyrights and recordings of teleconferences for medical and medical consultation
- Conferences for medical practice and consultation are recorded using photographs and videos. Thus, participants may be recorded in those two formats. The copyright for such photographs and videos belongs to TEMDEC. However, the copyright for presentation materials made by a presenter remains with that person.
- 2. Publication of materials
- The recorded photographs, videos, and presentation materials of teleconferences for medical and medical consultation may appear in such places as the TEMDEC Web site, annual report, and academic conferences.
- 3. Conference streaming
- Conference may be delivered simultaneously through streaming. The copyright of the videos for streaming delivery belongs to TEMDEC. Any distribution, copying, reproduction, modification, or transmission of any content of such videos is strictly prohibited.
- 4. Public knowledge of presented research
- The shared information in conferences will be treated as a public knowledge. Thus, subject matter disclosed prior to the filing of a patent application will infringe the novelty of the invention and be disadvantageous to presenters. If presenters wish to share information that could relate to future patent applications, they should consult their local intellectual property department in advance.
- 5. Personal information
- Participants’ personal information, such as names, affiliations, and email addresses, will be registered to the TEMDEC database. This will be used to present details related to attendance, viewing, and prepared information for the conference. Personal information will be strictly managed, and TEMDEC will always respond to requests for editing or deleting.
- Personal Information Protection Commission, Japan: “Act on the Protection of Personal Information”
- Personal Information Protection Commission, Japan: “Guidelines of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Independent Administrative Institutions”; (in Japanese)
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: “Guidance for the Proper Handling of Personal Information in the Medical and Nursing Care Related Businesses”;(in Japanese)
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: “Safety Management Guidelines for Medical Information Systems”; (in Japanese)
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, and Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry: “Safety Management Guidelines for Providers of Information Systems and Services Handling Medical Information”; (in Japanese)